Sunday, June 19, 2011

Create A Click Track In Mainstage

My Click Track Controls
Using click tracks have started to become a standard practice for many worship teams as it can really tighten up your timing and make it much easier to integrate loops and timed effects. What's great about using the internal metronome in Mainstage is that it will automatically change to the tempo you set for each patch. It can also be routed to alternate outputs so you can send it to your team's in-ear monitors without sending it to the main mix. Here is a quick and easy setup guide.

Step 1 - Create An On-Screen Control
Go to Layout Mode and create a button on your screen and then assign it to a button on your MIDI controller so that you can trigger your click track live. I have integrated my on-screen click button with the Tempo info and MIDI message light so I can see all related info in one easy place.

Step 2 - Assign Your Control To The Metronome
Go back to Edit Mode and click on the concert level. This is important because you want the click to work on all patches inside the concert. Once you're there, click on the button you created and go down to the Screen Control Inspector and select Actions > Metronome. You can now press the button on screen or the assigned MIDI controller button and you should hear the click start and stop.

Step 3 - Assign The Metronome To Alternate Outputs
If you have an audio interface with multiple outputs you can easily assign it to a different set of outputs to be fed to your team's in-ears. Go to Mainstage > Preferences, go to the Metronome section and select the Output drop down menu and select the outputs you want to send the metronome to.


8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this blog and all the articles!

    I am a worship keyboard player from Norway, and I have just recently purchased my first Mac and Mainstage. I use a Nord Electro 3 as controller and am concidering using my iPad as a music reader, so I have read just about everything you have written here. God bless, and keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are finding my blog helpful! Gotta say I love your keyboard setup (yeah, I know I am a bit biased). :-) If there are any topics you would like me to write about feel free to ask. Blessings.

    Aaron Hein

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. What if my Firewire interface (Presonus Firestudio Mobile) only has one set of left/right outputs? How do I separate the click track so the front of house doesn;t hear it but only the monitors do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same question. Too bad you can't separate the outputs, one to the computer output and one to the interface, as that would be a quick solution. I think I'm going to have to buy a new interface. So far I've just been using my mbox that I use with Pro Tools.

      Delete
    2. Oh Wow, I did some digging and you CAN in fact separate the outputs so that the click comes out of your computer speakers and your performance out of your interface. You have to set up what's called an Aggregate Device in Audio Midi Setup. Here is a link with the instructions: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3956

      I did this and it's working! I had to deal with 3 crashes in Mainstage and then 3 individual entire system crashes where I got the black screen of death and had to reboot, but after the 3rd restart everything worked.

      That's where I'm at now so I don't know if it's going to be glitchy or not, but I was excited to share the answer with you. Good luck.

      dm

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the follow up link!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the article. Very clear instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. True life changing story of COPD.
    My father was a smoker for forty years. He started when he was a teenager in high school in the early 1950s, and continued to smoke about a pack a day until he quit in 1995. For years he thought "You know? 1 smoked for forty years, and I got away with it !" No. No he didn't. In 2014, nineteen years after he had quit smoking, he started noticing that he was having trouble with wheezing and feeling like he was out of breath a lot. He was diagnosed with early stage COPD. For the first year, he was able to get by with simply using rescue inhalers once in a while, but by late 2015 he needed supplemental oxygen. At first, he could get by on the lowest tank setting of 1 liter per minute, but as time went on he needed an Oxygen concentrator at home and he needed more and more oxygen. Last year (2020) he was up to the oxygen concentrator's highest setting of 5 liters per minute, even while just sitting down. By this time I had moved in with him to take care of him. Sometimes he would be gasping for air, and he would ask me "Son, is the machine on? I just can't get enough air" his condition worsened, our hearts melted every moment as we watched him gasp for breath,we were sure he would die any moment, by the time I started reading YouTube comments,I stumbled upon a comment that said there is an traditional herbal doctor called Dr Itua Herbal Center man that cures this ailment and other human diseases,I quickly contacted him and ordered the herbs with my father's money because he wouldn't need it anymore cos he would die any moment,I received the herbs in two days and from that moment he used the herbs, he began to feel better and better, few weeks later, he was completely cured, I thank you for reading this story about my father's experience with COPD. If you know someone who is a smoker, and you love them, please encourage them to quit. We love Daddy.all thanks to Dr Itua.
    if you have this ailment or have other ailments like..Alzheimer's,Cancer,Parkinson,Hiv,Herpes,Hpv,Kidney disease,Diabetes,Hepatitis,, email Dr Itua Herbal Center on
    drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com also chatted with him on whatsapp number: +2348149277967. and he will send you herbs to cure you completely.

    ReplyDelete